Celebrate Earth Day in the San Francisco Bay Area
Celebrate Earth Day! Here are some interesting events:
- Green Apple Festival. Volunteer activities take place at parks, beaches, schools and forests that focus on tree-planting, energy efficiency retrofits, water protection, urban gardens and forest restoration today through Sunday. For volunteering efforts, times a
- Earth Stroll at Crissy Field. Take an interactive fitness walk, play eco-games, visit with live animals and learn how to create a healthier planet. 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Crissy Field, near Mason Street off Highway 101. 415-561-7690.
- “Party for the Planet” at the San Francisco Zoo. Green-themed activities, puppet show and scavenger hunt. 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Great Highway and Sloat Boulevard. Call 415-753-7080 or go to www.sfzoo. org/registration/calendardetail. asp?orgkey=1431&ActivityKey= 539272.nd location information, please visit www.greenapplefestival.com.
- Earth Day at Coyote Point Museum, San Mateo. Eco-art, nature walks and talks, interaction with the museum’s nonreleasable animals and special cleanup events. 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. 1651 Coyote Point Drive. 650-342-7755, www.coyoteptmuseum.org/activities/family-events/earth-day.
- Portola Valley’s Earth Day Fair. The event will include water conservation tips, composting demonstration techniques and recycling games for kids. 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday. Town Center Community Hall, 765 Portola Road. 650-851-1700.
- Belmont Earth Day Festival. Tree-planting, discussions and entertainment. 10 a.m.-3 p.m. April 25. Barrett Community Center, 1870 Ralston Ave. 650-595-7441 or www.belmont.gov/earthday
- Weed the Wetlands at San Francisquito Creek, Palo Alto. Remove non-native and invasive species. 9 a.m.-noon Saturday. For more information, contact 510-452-9261, extension 119, sanfrancisco.about.com/ od/aprilevents/tp/earthdaysf. htm.
- Earth Day Eco-Friendly Workshop. Children and parents are invited to participate in this event. 1-8 p.m. Monday. Sunnyvale Public Library, 665 W. Olive Ave. 408-730-7262.
- Earth Day at San Jose State University. Aztec Dancers, an electric bicycle company giving test rides nearby and games supplied by the Environmental Club. 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesday. El Paseo de Cesar Chavez. 408-924-5467.
- “Your Home, Your Community, Your Environment: A Community Conversation on Climate Change.” 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday. City Council Chambers, 456 W. Olive Ave., Sunnyvale. 408-730-7262.
- Greening Your Life. A panel of experts discusses easy ways to be green at home. 7-8 p.m. Thursday. Sunnyvale Community Center, 550 E. Remington Drive. 408-730-7262.
- Earth Day Weeding Project. Help remove non-native vegetation like Russian thistle and ice plant to ensure endangered birds and fish can thrive. 9 a.m.-noon Saturday. Eden Landing Ecological Reserve, off Highway 92 near Eden Landing Road, Hayward. For information, call 510-452-9261, extension 119 or go to www.savesfbay.org. and click on East Bay in the bottom left corner of page.
- Earth Day at the Oakland Zoo. More than 40 earth stations, hands-on learning, crafts, face-painting and Wildlife Theater presentations. 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday. 9777 Golf Links Road. 510-632-9525.